Friday, February 17, 2012

Finance

So about a year ago now Patrick informed me that we were going to KC to see Dave Ramsey. I had no idea who or what he was talking about. I knew that Abbi and her Dad did this FPU thing for awhile but that was it.

On March 5th we Drove to KC with his Mom, Sister and her Boyfriend. I walked in knowing that he was about finance but basically clueless. I went and it all seemed to make since, and Dave seemed to be a nice funny guy that was easy to relate to. I couldn't believe his story about being a millionaire and loosing it all and somehow building it back up. I was sitting there going of course I want to save money and yes I want to be debt free.

I was debt free at that point, but I did know that Gabe was gonna have his surgery soon and I would have to swallow that hospital bill.

Ever since then I have been working on the 7 baby steps.

Baby Step 1
$1,000 to start an Emergency Fund

Baby Step 2
Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball

Baby Step 3
3 to 6 months of expenses in savings

Baby Step 4
Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement

Baby Step 5
College funding for children

Baby Step 6
Pay off home early

Baby Step 7
Build wealth and give!

So I started with Step one and while working on it gained Gabe's bill so I was then kinda working on Step 2 at the same time. Traditionally you do these in order but I didn't have much of a choice. I started listening to the pod casts on my phone which was always fun but only about one a week. I did find that you can listen to them on the Internet which is great motivation. I LOVE the Friday show where everyone calls in and talks about all the debt the paid off and does their debt free scream. I paid off Gabe's bill in January so once again I'M DEBT FREE!!!!!!!!!! I am now on Step 3. I just did my taxes and got back my refund WOOT so I have about 4 months but I want to have all 6 So I am working hard to get up there.

Patrick and I just started FPU (Financial Peace University). I am what Dave calls "Gazelle Intense" which basically means I am itching to kick some butt. We only go once a week and it seems like a really long time between Sundays. Not to mention I really want to start learning about the steps that are ahead of me because I just don't know enough about them.

I am excited about the journey that I am on and thought I would share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment